Following are 24 reasons/memories of why we are still together after all this time;
1. He puts up with my hissy fits and occasional whining.
2. I’m a huge Packer fan. Back in 1997 we were both working two jobs while he attended school for police science. Our second jobs were at a gas station down the road from where we lived. I was scheduled to work the day the Packers played in the Super Bowl. I was very depressed that I wouldn’t be able to see the game. Unbeknownst to me, he spoke to the boss and arranged to work in my place that day. The day of the game he announced this to me but only after he walked me to the couch where he
had set me out a blanket, pillow and poured me a drink. It was the greatest Super Bowl ever.
3. When we were still in high school my parents took me on a trip to Chicago to stay with some relatives. He missed me so much that he drove all the way there in the snow. When my relatives asked where he would be staying, he said he would sleep in the parking lot of a grocery store. That was enough for my relatives to hear and they let him stay at the house with us.
4. He says he loves me multiple times each day.
5. On our fishing trip this past July he jumped into the water to help me land a dog fish and cut his hand and foot in the process. He knew I would have been so disappointed if I had lost the fish.
6. When I was in the hospital getting induced prior to McKenzie’s birth he brought me in a large pizza with everything on it because he knows that food makes me happy. I ate most of it and it was delicious but needless to say, that wasn’t such a good idea right before going into labor.
7. He holds my hand when we are driving or we are walking.
8. He always kisses me hello and goodbye.
9. Many, many moons ago I had a cyst removed from my tailbone that left me with an open wound that had to be packed with gauze for weeks (I know, yuck!). Even though I was a big baby and screamed my head off, he did it for me because I wouldn’t have felt comfortable with anyone else doing it.
10. He still slow dances with me.
11. He buys me chocolate when he stops at the gas station.
12. If I have a migraine he drops everything to do whatever needs to be done so I can sleep it off.
13. He believes in me and gave me the opportunity to be a stay at home mom/writer.
14. He pushes me to complete my goals.
15. He sold an old pickup truck to buy me an engagement ring. I was only 16 years old when he gave it to me and I have been wearing the same ring ever since.
16. He graduated two years ahead of me and would pretend to be my Dad and would call me in sick to school. We were in his room watching TV the day the space shuttle Challenger blew up.
17. If I order crab legs or lobster he will take the shells off for me.
18. When we stay at a hotel he will get up early and get me coffee before I wake up.
19. On the weekends he gets up with the kids and lets me sleep as long as I want.
20. He makes some kick-ass chili and has the kids help by making tiny meatballs out of the hamburger. He also is an expert at steaks and burgers on the grill.
21. He is old school and asked my Dad if he could marry me before he asked me.
22. He once took me on a vacation to South Carolina where we slept in a tent on the beach and watched the very last episode of Seinfeld on a tiny television that we had with us.
23. He listens to cassette tapes on a Walkman when he jogs and was so in love with his flip-phone that he only got a smartphone because I wanted one.
24. We met in advanced speech class. He was a book worm and I was not. I was fire, he was ice. We were as opposite as they come. But you know what they say about opposites.
So there you have it. 24 reasons for why we’ve been together for
24 years. We celebrated over the weekend by going out to lunch and then to the casino. He hates gambling about as much as I love it. Remember what I said about opposites. We won around $100 and thankfully he was there to drag me out otherwise I would have spent it.